Monday 11 May 2015

Lewy Body Dementia and Alzheimer's

While there are significant similarities to Alzheimer's dementia, LBD shows completely different symptoms.  The symptoms vary from one patient to another; however there are certain core features that are very similar. I will emphasise those that are more related to what I see in my husband Steve.

LBD patients are more prone to visual hallucinations than in Alzheimer's patients. For Steve, hallucinations are rare, however he cannot communicate so it remains to be seen what is really going on inside.  When he could communicate his hallucinations were more like an incident that took place but not just in the way he described it.  For example; he was telling me one day that he was talking to the Mayor of the city of Calgary. After probing into the conversation I understood that he listened to the Mayor talk on TV.

LBD patients have sleep behavior disorder, talking in sleep, violent movements, falling out of bed. This was quite frequent when Steve was at home. We had moved to separate bedrooms due to my inability to sleep, which I needed having to go to work the next day. One morning I found him flat out on the floor, after which a bed rail was installed.

LBD patients have significant sensitivity to Antipsychotic medication.  According to the LBD Association, 50% of patients with LBD who are treated with Antipsychotic medication may experience severe neuroleptic sensitivity leading to worsening symptoms.  Steve could not tolerate the drugs that were available back then. There are some better treatments available at the present time.
Alzheimer's patients are not nearly as prone to developing extreme sensitivity to these drugs.

LBD patients have more of a fluctuating cognition than Alzheimer's. Steve has adverse fluctuations. He has never not known who I am, however there are some days when all I get is a blank stare. He knows the family when he sees their pictures but has trouble saying their names. The other day I was teasing him; 'Your my little poochy.' No, he says 'Your my poochy', so I say,' then your my pain in the butt.'  He says, 'yes'. I say,' O no your not.' He says' theoretically I am.' And I'm thinking where did that come from? I may not get another word I understand other than ,yes, no, ok and good for sometime to come.

Steve has severe Parkinsonism. He is totally immobile, yet has significant strength in his hands.

 " Never take for granted what your loved knows or understands regarding his/her surroundings. Treat them with dignity, respect and unconditional love."

No comments:

Post a Comment