Friday 17 April 2015

My first response to this journey was denial. DENIAL There was my own personal denial of my husband Steve's condition.He was just having burnout and we were going to fix it. This being disorientated and forgetting things is something we all experience.Missing appointments, not being able to focus on reading his notes became a little more concerning. So we will fix this with B12, DHA, Q10 Gingo Biloba or anything that can feed the brain. Steve was in denial so any form of confrontation was unresponsive. There was my own personal denial of myself. Mental and neurological illness carries a huge stigma. While I was showing to the world that I was very much in control, I was battling my own personal demons of self-acceptance, regret, loss of control and worthlessness. After all this whatever is happening is affecting not only Steve but the entire family. ANGER What was taking place was not just happening to Steve it was happening to me and why? He seemed to be functioning on so many levels. He sleeps, eats, manages himself somewhat independently but can't or won't carry on an intelligent conversation. He hardly recognises I am in the room. My anger affliction was damaging and contagious. It began to affect our children. SELF-PITY Self-pity really stinks if you sit to long on your pity pot. I'm deprived of friendships, a husband, relationship, intimacy. I have no one to help me with anything. You can so easily get caught up in self-pity that you can convince yourself that the problem is not the person who is ill, since all you see is your own problem. ...Journey to be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment